Purchasing a storage shed for your home is a big decision. There are many things to consider such as the size of building, the style of building, additional options such as Rent-To-Own or warranty information. Another factor that goes into choosing a storage building is its expected lifespan. If you want a permanent place to keep your gardening accessories, power tools, or outdoor equipment, you’ll want a shed that will last! Outdoor Sheds built from wood generally last the longest – but not all wooden sheds are made equal. This article provides information on how to get the most of your outdoor storage shed and what makes Dutch Country Sheds stand above the rest. Looking for more information about our portable buildings’ lifespan? Contact Dutch Country today!
Portable Buildings – How Long Do Our Outdoor Storage Sheds Last?
At Dutch Country Sheds, all of our portable buildings are built to last! Check out the gallery of our sheds below. To see larger versions of these images, click on the shed you would like to enlarge!
No matter which outdoor shed you choose, all of our portable buildings are built to stand the test of time. The average lifespan of the average shed will vary depending on a variety of factors such as the climate and weather conditions of your area, daily wear-and-tear, what items are stored in the shed, and what the shed is used for. It also depends on the quality of materials used in building the shed, workmanship, and quality of the portable building’s doors. At Dutch Country Sheds, the average life expectancy for your new shed is a lifetime! That means you won’t have to worry about replacing your shed and reorganizing all of your family’s tools, bikes, or other items stored inside.
Maintaining A Shed & Avoiding Potential Problems
There are a few common problem areas found with wooden sheds. Homeowners can avoid these problems with proper maintenance as well as ensuring you purchase a high-quality shed from a reputable company. Learning which areas to look out for and how to solve possible problems can help your shed stay strong longer and save you money on repairs or even replacements down the road.
Leaking, cracked roofs can be a major problem. A damaged roof compromises your shed’s structure as well as all the items you have stored inside! In order to prevent a serious incident, frequently checking your shed’s roof can help stop a problem before it begins. Keep note of any moisture inside your shed – even the tiniest amount. This can indicate a small problem that may, over time, become a big one. If you notice any dripping or moisture in your shed, thoroughly check out the roof. If you see a crack, work quickly to fill it in. If you have a warranty on your building, check to see what that warranty covers. If you don’t, you can install some foam inside the crack. Secure the foam with duct tape or, as a longer solution, wood adhesive.
Doors can also become a source of dripping and leaking water into your shed. If they are not properly secured, they may also allow unwanted guests – like mice or bees – to make a home inside your storage building! Like the roof, ensure you regularly check doors and even windows. Is your door extra creaky? Are you having trouble closing it? Does it seem a little warped? Does anything seem off? Take note of these changes and once again, check for any moisture on or around your doors. One way to avoid door problems is to ensure that your shed’s doors have been made with strong material. For a DIY method, you can add a rain protector to your door. They are simple to make and only require wood and nails.
Your shed’s floor may see the most wear-and-tear, especially if you plan to store heavy equipment such as lawnmowers or snowblowers inside. No matter how careful you are, spills and leaks can happen. You may track in moisture from an early morning dew, or your lawnmower may leak a small amount of gasoline. Walking in and out and dragging equipment to and from your shed can also cause wear-and-tear. Ensuring you purchase a shed with quality flooring can help prevent moisture and eventual rot on your shed’s floor. You should also ensure that your shed’s floor is level. A DIY tip to keep your shed’s floor safe from the elements and general wear is to coat your floor to help waterproof it. Another idea is to store items on hooks or shelves and keep as many items as possible off the floors. This not only helps your shed last longer, but also helps you stay organized!
How Dutch Country Sheds Does It Differently
When you buy an outdoor storage building from Dutch Country Sheds, you can rest assured that your portable building has been made with the highest quality materials by only the most skilled craftsmen. We combine quality materials with superior Amish craftsmanship to produce a shed that will last at an affordable price.
We also offer a blanket five-year warranty that covers any defect in workmanship, lumber, and products, including the function of the product. This will help ensure that any small potential problems are fixed before they become big ones! We ensure quality floors, walls, and doors. Check out the list below for more information on each part of our sheds.
- Robust Flooring System: All of the Dutch Country sheds are installed with 3/8″ tongue and groove flooring. This special floor covering will add strength while keeping both moisture and rodents out of your unit. The 4″ x 6″ specially treated skids will never need to be replaced.
- Walls: We use 24″ on center advanced framing in combination with 3/8″ LP Smartside Siding. This high-quality siding offers all the warmth and beauty of natural wood combined with the long-lasting durability of engineered wood.
- Strongest Doors on the Market: Our doors will not warp or sag. That’s guaranteed. They are the strongest and most secure doors available in the market. You can rest assured that your valuables will be safe and securely stored away.
When To Replace Your Shed
Many wooden sheds do not need to be replaced often, or even at all! Everyone has different preferences. If and when you choose to replace your shed is up to your personal needs, wants, and budget. Here are some situations when replacing your shed may be the best option for a variety of reasons.
- You Need More Space: Did you purchased your shed many years ago before you had children and 30 years worth of items? Maybe you downsized and are in desperate need of extra space? Situations such as these may require you to purchase a bigger shed. If all the organization and purging in the world can’t provide the extra space you need, it may be time to replace your small shed with a bigger one.
- You Need Less Space: If you suddenly find yourself with way too much space in your shed, you actually may want to downsize. A larger shed means more maintenance. If you can’t find any use for your big shed and feel it’s taking up way too much space in your yard, going with a small building may be a good choice for you.
- Your Shed Is Damaged/Worn Down: A crack in the roof and a dent in the floor is probably not a good enough reason to replace your shed. There are many DIY guides out there as well as professionals who can help you fix your shed. However, an overwhelming amount of damage, whether due to years of wear-and-tear or due to damage from a storm, may be a good reason to replace your shed. Issues such as serious warping or floor damage that has spread to the base of your shed may indicate that it is not worth repairing.
Get A Shed That Will Last A Lifetime!
If you are in need of additional storage space, a guest house, a new at-home office, or need a multi-purpose building, contact Dutch Country Sheds now to learn more! Our portable buildings can be the solution to many storage needs.
We even have a Rent-To-Own option to make it easy for you to own your very own shed today! Dutch Country Sheds is committed to both affordability and high-quality structures.
We take the time to listen to our customers and help them choose the best design for their particular needs and budget. We are always happy to answer any questions you may have.
We are so confident in the high quality of our product that we offer a 5-year blanket warranty.
Our 5-year blanket warranty covers any defect in workmanship, lumber, and products, including the function of the product. Dutch Country Sheds are made to last – we guarantee it with our 5-year warranty!
“Your company produces such a quality storage building! You can tell that quality went into it because quality just shines through it. Even the delivery was a class act. All of you do a great job.”
– Rick Franklin, a Classic Buildings Customer – More Testimonials Here!